How to take your wig from gross to great!
This isn’t a new method at all, but instead my results using this tutorial.
While the before shot is pretty terrible photo quality to begin with, you can see the wig is basically a ratty, gross-looking mess.
- Find a tank or bucket and empty a capful of fabric softener into it (more softener if your wig is longer).
- Add enough water to submerge the wig, and make sure to flip it inside out before you put it in the water. Swish it around to make sure it’s saturated, and then let it soak for a few days. I left mine is for a little over two days, but I would suggest leaving it in closer for the five days the original tutorial suggests.
- Lay the wig out on a towel to dry. I didn’t wash out the fabric softener, and when it was damp instead of dripping, I put it on a wig stand.
- After it’s completely dry, brush through it with a wig brush, or at least a brush with wire teeth. Plastic teeth will create static and no one wants that.
- If you need a wig brush, try checking out beauty stores. Failing that, you can usually find wire brushes at pet stores, and they work as well as any wig brush.
- Spray lightly with dry shampoo or sprinkle with talcum powder. Brush your wig again after a few minutes to help disperse the powder and keep your wig from looking chalky. You may experience a small amount of shedding during the brushing process, but it shouldn’t be anything too severe.
And there you have it!
Removing the shine to your wig —-> ENTER HERE http://fav.me/d5um4ou on We Heart It - http://weheartit.com/entry/54606779/via/LienYing88
Hotel reservations made for Chicago TARDIS! My first out of town Con and I’m so flippin excited!! Now, just have to stick to my diet and find time to exercise so I can pull off the super secret cosplay I have planned :D
My intention was to do just a generic brown aes sedai cosplay, but after re-reading the series, I think I want to do Verin. Short, chubby brown? That’s me!
I need Minnesota cosplay friends. I NEED to do a Jem cosplay. I call Kimber. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller….Beuller…
Brown ajah cosplay update - I found semi local seamstresses who would make a dress with my color specifications, a brown ajah shawl (because really, despite my best intentions, I’d probably just f it up) and in the event I would lose more weight, alter it to my new, smaller size :) Colors are tentatively going to be burnt orange as a main color, with olive green and brown as accent colors.
from the etsy shop Matti’s Millinery & Costumes
Here are a few abaya options for a Brown Ajah cosplay - the color slashes would be either burnt orange or bronze. It seems like every other women in the WoT has a color slashed dress. I think most of these probably look too “modern” to fit into the Jordanverse though.
Abayas are from Boutique Khaleejia
I’m busy mentally planning this years’ cosplays, which is a bit like trying to see the future. Alhamdulilah, my eating healthy/exercising plan is going well, and I’m losing weight, but how much I’ll actually weigh by mid-summer and then fall is a bit of a mystery. In my head, I imagine I’ll be 2/5 of the way to my goal by July and then 4/5 of the way there in November, when my 2 cons are scheduled.
As such, I don’t want to spend a lot of time and money on costumes that (iA!) won’t fit next year. But I still want to cosplay! I have 2 costumes planned for CONvergence, including one super secret one I won’t talk about until/unless I manage to pull it off.
The other is an Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah. While this costume would ideally be made up of a fabulous renaissance dress paired with a brown fringed shawl, that won’t work because (a), I don’t know how much I’ll weight in July (hopefully less than now!) and (b) who wants to put all that effort into a gorgeous dress that will be too big soon there after (iA).
So, I’m thinking fancy caftan, which are normally worn more loosely, so weight loss wouldn’t mean I couldn’t wear it in the future.
However, when I read WoT, I always imagine the women wearing more european style clothing, but perhaps a fancy caftan would work. Anyone familiar with WoT clothing care to weigh in?
Caftans are from Wahat Al Jalabiya.